Monday, October 3, 2011

Tuscalooa, Alabama

Happy Monday morning!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend, and for those fellow UT students a happy fall break.

On Wednesday once classes were over a group of 69 students, including myself, headed down to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. We went as a joint group of UT's BCM, my church Calvary, and Central Bearden. The trip started off with lots of fun. Since we ran into some traffic we played maffia on the bus for the first hour or so until we got to Chattanooa. Once we passed Chattanooga we were in dire need of dinner, as it was only suppose to be two hours once we got on the bus till dinner but ended up being more like three. We arrived Wednesday evening in Tuscaloosa about 10:30 central time.

On Thursday we rose early to start the day off. There were several different groups that split up and we were pretty much all over the place. The group I went with primed a house to be painted for the weekend. This neighborhood we were in was empty, for miles and miles. Being in Tennessee I'm use to some hills and mountains, but where the tornado had touched down it was flat and barren for so many miles around. This house was the only one that was up and standing. I got to speak with the owners some and they were such a blessing! With their brave faces and grateful hearts I couldn't help but hurt for them during this time. It's been almost 5 months since the torndao hit and these people are slowly coming back. Some of the other groups included rebuilding a YMCA for future volunteers, helping a family tear down a fence, and organizing supplies to be moved. Once the day was done we spent some time fellowshiping and a Bible study. Then it was time for some apples to apples, four square, and a basketball game. We had a great time hanging out. We had prayed that day for the Lord to just wear us out, and boy He sure did, I slept like a little log on my cot!




Friday was the same as Thursday, we split up into different teams and off to completely new different sites. On this day I spent my time helping a church move supplies from the church to a module the state had granted. When the tornado hit there were lots of relief sites for victims, but now there is just this one church left handing out goods. There was a lot of heavy lifting, frustration from organizing, and tiredness but my heart was so happy to serve. This trip's focus was to be the hands and feet of Jesus, and we did just that. We moved and served to the best of our abilities. After we finished up our assignments Friday afternoon we went to visit the Alabama campus. And wow is it beautiful! I think if I could, and Daddy allowed it I would so transfer! I just loved it!! We left Tuscaloosa with some heavy hearts and I hope I can someday return and see the change that has been set in place. Please don't forget these people in your prayers, there is still lots of work left to be done.But God is so good and showing up just at the right time, He is bigger than anything I or a tornado can ever be!

Heres some photos...

so.flat.

this was an empty room turned grocery store

the boys


Brooke & Me

sorry Saban, I'm a bit bitter


No comments:

Post a Comment